This course is aimed at inexperienced operatives who are required to undertake slinging and signalling for the movement of loads using lifting equipment. Candidates may be new to the role or may be those with limited experience and no formal training.
(Please note the term “Banksman” does not apply to Vehicle Marshall or Traffic Management, please refer to our website for the CPCS Plant & Vehicle Marshaller/Vehicle Banksman course)
COURSE AIM AND CONTENTS
The aim of this course is to provide candidates with practical and theoretical knowledge in order for them to undertake the role of the Slinger/Signaller. Following successful completion of the course candidates will be able to select the correct lifting accessories, attach them to loads safely and guide the load using the appropriate hand signals.
Topics covered during this course include:
- Legislation – LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
- Codes of practice – BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Lifting accessories
- Types of accessories and use
- Slinging techniques
- Down rating of accessories
- Sling angles
- Establishing load weight and centre of gravity
- Proximity hazards
- Selecting lifting accessories
- Verifying documentation and certification
- Attaching accessories to different loads
- Signalling for the lifting, transferring and positioning of loads
- Safe use of radios
Successful candidates will be awarded a Red CPCS Trained Operator card endorsed with the category Slinger Signaller All Types – All Duties. (Lifting Operations). Please note the Red CPCS card is only valid for 2 years, within this time you must complete your NVQ level 2 Diploma to convert from Red card to Blue card. The Blue CPCS card is valid for 5 years, please see NVQ section for more information.
Pre course requirement: The Health Safety & Environment test for Operatives must be passed before undertaking the CPCS Technical Test. For more details please see the Health & Safety Test information in our brochure or visit our website. ure or visit our website.